Tour ID: 10030041
This day tour is all about nature, it is what Tasmania is famous for. We visit Tahune Forest Reserve where you get the chance to do the Tahune Forest Airwalk, it is a great experience. We also head to Hastings Caves where you will go underground on a guided tour but be sure to bring a jumper as it is always 9 degrees. Throughout the day there are many stops and walks through nature.
We travel south of Hobart into the great Southern Forests, through the picturesque Huon Valley- famous for its apple orchards giving Tasmania the name the Apple Isle – and along the beautiful Huon River. Walk through the tree tops suspended 40m high above the ground, then further south we delve 40m underground into the vast chambers of a cave tour.
Our first major adventure for today is to explore the Tahune Forest Airwalk. We begin our walk along the Cantilever stretching for 597m through the treetops. Enjoy the sensation of being suspended above the Huon River with breathtaking views across the treetops and surrounding mountains. Back on the forest floor we can take on a longer walk (1hr) to experience the “Swinging Bridges”, crossing both the Picton and Huon rivers. With a 50m span across the rivers this is a thrilling experience and makes for fabulous photos! For a more gentle experience there is the easy 20 minute Huon Pine Walk where these famous and unique local trees grow alongside the river with some as old as 2000 years, a delightful and enchanting short walk.
We continue our journey south enjoying a number of short stops for easy walks, fabulous scenery and lookouts along the way.
The Hastings Cave Reserve is another spectacular place where we enjoy a variety of activities and soak up the unique atmosphere. Bring your swimming gear and jump into the Thermal Springs swimming pool where the water is always 28 degrees, fed by the naturally heated waters of the thermal springs nearby. Relax in the beautiful forest surrounds or wander the Hot Springs Nature Trail where the warm water meets the cool water, home to the unique & playful Platypus.
We head underground to explore the spectacular Hastings Caves which are Australia’s largest tourist Dolomite Caves, expertly conducted by the National Parks & Wildlife guides. The cave temperature is always 9 degrees so bring your jumper along.
Our return to Hobart takes around 1.5 hours with a few short stops along the way, during the summer months there is ample opportunity to collect some delicious local Cherries, Berries, Apples etc. on the way home.
This is a fun, diverse and relaxed day out. We return to Hobart around 5.30 pm.
• Tahune Forest Reserve
• Tahune Airwalk Cantilever
• Swinging Bridges Walk or Huon Pine Walk
• Hastings Caves State Reserve
• Hastings Cave Guided Tour
• Thermal Springs swimming pool
• Hot Springs Nature Track
• Platypus Walk
• Tasmania’s Southern Forests
• Huon Valley
• Tahune Airwalk entrance fees
• National Park entrance fees
• Hastings Caves & Thermal Springs Pool fees
• Guided Tour of Hastings Caves
• Professional guides and interpretive walks
• Small, friendly groups
• Hotel/Hostel Pick Up & Drop Off
You may bring your lunch with you or we will stop to give you an opportunity to purchase your lunch on the day.
What to bring/wear
• Sensible shoes for walking
• A variety of warm clothing (Cave temperature 9 degrees)
• Swim gear & towel for Thermal pool (hot showers available)
• Hat, sunscreen
• Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
• Sense of adventure
• Tahune Airwalk Entrance Fees
• National Park Entrance Fees
• Hastings Caves & Thermal Springs Pool Fees
• Hotel/Hostel Pick Up & Drop Off
No Specific Times Mon, Thu
Returns Hobart ~ 5.00pm
We pick up from Hobart CBD Hotels and Hostels. Pick up times commence from 7.00am. You will need to ensure your pick up is confirmed and your time is confirmed prior to departure.
A list of tentative pickup locations and times can be found by clicking this link.
Day pack, camera, comfortable, sturdy footwear, warm jumper, rainjacket, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, water bottle and swimming bathers if you decide to swim in the thermal pools. The weather can change quickly; we always recommend bringing a warm jumper and a rain jacket … just in case!
Children must be over 8 years of age. Children 8 years to 17 years of age may travel at the child price.
•This tour will involve some walking. Although most of the walks are classified as easy, a suitable level of
general health and fitness and physical ability is essential
• All tour participants will be participating in outdoor activities, subject to the outdoor weather conditions of the day. Please dress appropriately
• There is no maximum age provided all participants have a reasonable level of fitness and mobility
• There is an opportunity to purchase lunch along the way or you are welcome to bring along your own packed lunch
• What to bring: sensible shoes for walking; a variety of warm and weatherproof clothing; hat and sunscreen; large water bottle/drinks; snacks; and lunch (or buy it on the day)
Cave Temperature is 9 degrees Celcius. Thermal Pool temperature is 28 degrees celcius.
Huonville, Huon Valley and Tahune Airwalk
Copyright 2018 © Tours To Go. All Rights Reserved.